Sunday, February 10, 2008

Losers Win! Part II Revolution

In last weeks' post, I outlined the importance of play, specifically digital gaming, in closing the achievement gap, and therefore helping to break the cycle of poverty. That's the easy part. The real challenge lies in the second half of the educational two-step for change.

The issue is not a failure to understand the problem nor is it finding a cure. The issue is for educators to have the intestinal fortitude to do what we know needs to be done. I believe the reason we have not is because we, as educated citizens, are the beneficiaries of the industrial, sort and rank model of education. In order for real change to take place, the education aristocracy will have to denounce their thrones and hand over power to the peasants. How much easier is it for us to maintain the status quo, live high off the hog, and keep the masses ignorant…After all, the world needs ditch diggers too!

I hope and pray that in my lifetime I will see justice done. I hope in some small way I will contribute to closing the achievement gap. On the count of 3, let’s throw down our educational crowns…ready….1…..2…..

No comments: